Tilbury And District Historical Society
— We Provide
The log house serves as a meeting place for the Tilbury and District Historical Society.
— We Build Interest
The hopes of the society is to promote public interest in the history of Tilbury and area.
— We Educate
We wish to provide a historical and genealogical research centre for the community
Who We Are
We are a genealogical research group for the Tilbury, ON area, located in a renovated log house.
The location of the Tilbury and District Historical Society is one of the oldest houses in Tilbury, built circa 1855 on the site where the Tilbury Post office currently stands. Years later, the house was relocated farther west on the original lot, to what is now 20 Canal Street West, by Jean-Baptise Lanoue, a local early settler.
The restoration was a labour of love, and is an excellent example of a first settlement log home, commonly build by francophone pioneers in the area. It was largerly unaltered and has been restored to its original condition.